Sunday, August 07, 2011

A Stitch in Time

Michaelangelo is quoted as saying "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it." That's the thought that popped into my head when I saw this vintage dress that our friend Kat had gifted to Qacei.

Awesome, but slightly...dated, no?

While not a block of stone, it was also not something that Qacei would wear in its current incarnation. Vintage is cool and all, but a girl's gonna wear only what a girl's gonna wear. And let's face it, what girl wants to dress like she's stepped out of the pages of her dad's bar mitzvah?

I will probably get grief from both Jon and Qacei for this picture.
It's totally worth it.


But the bones of this dress were good. Who doesn't love purple polka dots? And there was a whole lot of cute hiding under all that fabric. I could just see it. So I set to work. Armed with only a pair of scissors and $5 worth of ribbon and tulle from JoAnne's, I set to work.

The result? In only hours we had so much cute it puts cute to shame.

Check out the adorable sandals.

The girl is stylin'!

And now, this little restyled dress is cute enough to wear to the prom with Duckie.

Isn't she pretty in polka dots?

6 comments:

Shady Lady said...

Love this dress redo! As a new sewer, I am seriously impressed.

hi, i'm kat. said...

that makes me so happy! i had forgotten all about it, i love it :) so glad qacei does too!

Jenny said...

So cute! Also love the phot if young Jon surrounded by all those girls. :)

K. said...

Oh, she is CRAZY-BEAUTIFUL in polka-dots. Very cute! Nice work, Mary.

Cindy said...

Good job, and very inspiring. I'll have to look through my closet...

What I love the best is that it is now it has an old time classy feel to it.

Robyn Coburn said...

And enough left off the bottom to make a second skirt.