Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I'm back. Apparently all I needed was a smack upside the head from the Universe to bring me out of blogging retirement.

My smack-down came almost two weeks ago on the last evening of the LIFE is Good Conference. I was sitting in a room with hundreds of people waiting for Kimya Dawson to take the stage. This year's conference had been a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, mischief and magic. It was both exhilarating and exhausting and I was glad to have gotten through to that last concert when I could finally relax and enjoy the moment. Ha! The Universe had other plans for me.

Thanks a lot Universe.

For it was right at that moment that I got the news that my mother had passed away. It literally brought me to my knees. Although my mother was 89 and had been frail for some time, her death still came as a shock. Luckily I was surrounded by friends and was taken care of from that moment on. I felt an outpouring of love that made me appreciate my unschooling community more than ever. And if I've got the time line right, my mom actually left this world while we were all singing
Exactly with Amy Steinberg. I guess I was exactly where I needed to be.

Thanks for the reminder mom. I'll try to remember.

I've got a lot to process and the blog is calling me. So I'm back for now. Thanks for listening.

7 comments:

Snavleys said...

And the grieving process will bring many more ups and downs. I'm glad you have so many people around you that love you! Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't seem to matter how old a person is when they lose their momma, it seems to make one feel like an orphan. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

kelli said...

Aw, I miss you. Glad to read you again. <3

Kirstin Eventyr said...

What amazing timing! Thank you for sharing your story. I look forward to more.

Mrs. G. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, so sorry. I am glad you felt loved and comforted by your tribe. Good thoughts sent your way.

Beachbum said...

Glad you're back, for I will enjoy reading. I'll apologize for reality - it does suck sometimes. Glad for the reminder that we are Exactly where we need to be...and am thankful for you.

Starcat said...

So very sorry for your loss. Glad to have you back here, though. Many blessings as you grieve and heal and grow and transform. Big hugs to you.

K. said...

<3